Mistakes People Make

Feb 27, 2006
The fever was still unrelenting on the Monday morning. Hangal suggested that I should consult a doctor. I do not know what's it between us and doctors, but we always deny that we are in a state where consultation is imperative. I am not only talking about me, but us - people who'll go out of their way to maintain the most unhygienic and unhealthy of lifestyles, but yet refuse to accept that they may fall prey to those miniscule organisms. We take the utmost care to destroy our immune system and then always leave it to that same immune system to heal us. So it is really not that improbable that the system will start protesting someday.

It happened to me on that Monday. After some tests I was advised to get admitted on Tuesday. I really still don't know how I felt at that moment. Whatever it was, it surely wasn't fear. More probably it bordered on something close to excitement at the prospect of getting admitted for the first time (a feeling that ever since has deserted me after four days of extreme ennui). I was diagnosed with an abscess in the liver - draw conclusions at your own peril, because you'll be wrong. It was because of something that I had eaten (heaven knows what!).

Someone said - probably Einstein (someone please correct me if it wasn't) - "Experience is the name people give to their mistakes". My unhealthy eating habits was my mistake, and my stint at Sagar Apollo my experience. As the cliche goes, "its better late than never" ergo I am working towards a healthier diet with the hope that the fire keeps on burning. But not all about my illness was negative. It gave a two week sabbatical from the boring and uninteresting work at office and a week at home in Calcutta. But the best part was the chest x-ray. It seems that my lungs are doing just fine - still !!
Mistakes People MakeSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

One more mistake is living in the extremes... What moderation is, we dont know... Perhaps time and hospital wud be our teachers... only time 'll tell...
THE HANGAL