- I never really understood what he wanted us to understand, and
- I still don't
Why the post is titled "Self Pity" and why my gibbering away about Shakespeare is - actually inter-related.
One of his plays has actually spawned, at least inspired, a successful industry here and here. And it is a line from this play that I oppugn. It goes thus,
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet."
By any other word would smell as sweet."
I agree much has been written on the subject here and there. But much of it has been a bit generalized to represent my predicament. Yes, this one's personal. And I am the protagonist of this tragedy.
I don't know who named me, and I have never quite cared for it to ask my parents - actually I quite liked my name - names don't get any shorter, not the complete one's at least. It saved me a lot of writing while filling up a myriad of forms (especially between the time I left school and started college).
I knew that in the northern (and I supposed the western too) part of India - though I might be known as a "North Indian" in "South India" (sometimes this sounds - and often feels - like two different countries), I am - technically - a "East Indian" (check here for confirmation) - girls are named "Suman" (though I did not find it here, I succeeded here). And, as expected, I did not find any reference of boys named "Suman" here or here, but I did find it here, as expected.
And this isn't surprising, because "Suman" is a standard name for boys in bangla. But who's listening? So when I ask for an address proof letter from my HR department, they promptly make it out to "Ms. Suman De" !!???
I don't know who named me, and I have never quite cared for it to ask my parents - actually I quite liked my name - names don't get any shorter, not the complete one's at least. It saved me a lot of writing while filling up a myriad of forms (especially between the time I left school and started college).
I knew that in the northern (and I supposed the western too) part of India - though I might be known as a "North Indian" in "South India" (sometimes this sounds - and often feels - like two different countries), I am - technically - a "East Indian" (check here for confirmation) - girls are named "Suman" (though I did not find it here, I succeeded here). And, as expected, I did not find any reference of boys named "Suman" here or here, but I did find it here, as expected.
And this isn't surprising, because "Suman" is a standard name for boys in bangla. But who's listening? So when I ask for an address proof letter from my HR department, they promptly make it out to "Ms. Suman De" !!???
People (read "non-Bongs" and here for a disambiguation) don't know how to pronounce my name bangla-shtyle, and that compounds my problem. In the hindi-speaking belt of India, "Suman" is pronounced "Sue-ma(a)n" (the stress on the second 'a' is lesser). Whereas, my name is supposed to be pronounced - "Shoe-moan" !!?? So, everytime I have to introduce myself - not many people actually want to get introduced to me, so that's a savior (!!) - I have to pronounce it the way non-bongs will undertsand - "Sue-ma(a)n" (I sometimes fear that I will, someday, forget the correct pronunciation myself). And this applies to German's as well (this statement has no other purpose than to tell you that I have been to Germany - and this was to clarify if you didn't quite make out yourself).
Ergo, whoever is on the other side of the phone offering me credit-cards and personal loans and holiday packages (for which, surprisingly, I have to pay for) and, even, school-admissions (surprisingly again, not for me, but my kids !!!??), I am liable to be addressed "Ma'am" :(
(I just hanged-up on one such call.) I think, I am (not without reason, if you ask me) getting a tad too self-indulgent and self-piteous...I need a smoke...ciao...
"Is there anybody out there, who feels the way I do ?"
ps: pardon those here's and there's...but, believe me, they are worth checking out
And, yes, it doesn't end here...there's more to it...Part II coming soon...

0 comments:
Post a Comment