I had thought of starting the series on my visit to Calcutta as soon as I had reached here. But due to the incessant, and very heavy, rains of last week - or (allegedly) an attempt by Tata Indicom to lure BSNL subscribers - the telephone lines were damaged. And I had to wait until today to start my posting.
Its been three years since I was in Calcutta for Durga Puja's, ergo there was a palpable excitment to be a part of the biggest festivities of the year in this part of the country. Add to that the fact that it has been almost a year now that I was home.
The festivities have not yet kicked off in its entirety. It will be before the day is out. But the traffic lines have already become menacingly long. But who cares? For me Durga Puja is not just a religious festival. It is that and much more. It is a celebration of life. Never otherwise can you find a wider section of the Calcutta populace out on the roads eating futchka or queueing up in front of one of those make-shift egg-roll counters or being amazed by the art of the innumerable puja pandals around the city.
I will write more about the pujas and the puja crowd later. Once I go out and have a first hand account. I don't need it. I can very well rely on my memory for the details. But who knows how it might have changed in the last few years ?
PS: I was at a xerox shop the other day and was asked to pay Rs. 1.25 !! For all I care, I dished out Rs. 1.50 (three 50 paise coins collected courtesy a habit some called bad) and prepared to walk out of the shop. Surprise, surprise !! I was called back and handed over a 25 paise coin !! These are the little things that make Calcutta special :)

1 comments:
Am nostalgic !!
Post a Comment