TZP - A Second Viewing

Dec 29, 2007

When you watch a movie for the second time in theater, you start to observe more than just the movie. There is no surprise waiting for you in the movie anymore. You observe the reactions around you more than you did the first time. But this does not necessarily mean that you are no longer enjoying the movie. If you are not, you shouldn't have been there for the second time anyway.

I don't know how many will actually relate to what I just wrote. But I for one believe it. So what is the point of all this? Last Wednesday I saw TZP for the second time in a week. And if things go well I am going for the third time next Thursday. Don't call me crazy. I love the movie. Period.

Now for my observations. After every movie, once you come out of the theater you will find people discussing - praising or blasting - the movie. There will be a constant cacophony surrounding the movie goers. After TZP there was none of that. From personal experience I can tell that I never once discussed the movie after the end. Except for a stifled mutter may be in praise of Darsheel or Aamir. But that was not only me. No one was discussing the movie. People walking out slowly from the theaters stunned. Still relating to that part of the movie which was closest to what their lives has once been.

Somewhere Bollywood has to get this right. Movies are not always for the purpose of entertainment. While there is a need for the masala flick in a country like India, we need more directors like Aamir who can make us think at the end of the movie. Till then we will only keep debating which movie should be India's entry to the Oscar and never ever actually celebrate the win of any.

However, the most interesting observation that came to my mind during my second viewing of TZP is its similarity with Pink Floyd's 'The Wall'. Though 'The Wall' doesn't revolve around a kid, it has a pretty similar concept. Isolation. Tyrannical and abusive teachers. A fantasy-world. The biggest difference probably being that, in 'The Wall', the protagonist is also at fault for failing to really share his feelings with the ones closest to him.

Whatever it may be, 'The Wall' and TZP have some things in common. You need to see both to probably realize it. May be you won't but still shouldn't give either a miss.

TZP - A Second ViewingSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

0 comments: